- 8 Character Coasters
- 36 Soybean Tokens
- Illustrated Rules
Object of the Game
One at a time, players take turns acting as Prince Mochi and are allowed to ask one question to each player around the table.
The other players must answer Prince Mochi with the truth or a lie, depending on the character role they have taken on for the round.
Prince Mochi earns points if he guesses correctly and finds the princess, but gives the other players points if he guesses incorrectly. The player who collects the most points by the end of the game wins.
The youngest player is the first to be Prince Mochi. They take the Prince Mochi coaster and place it in front of them. For the remainder of the round, they are referred to as Prince Mochi.
Prince Mochi then takes the coasters indicated on the next page, depending on the total number of players (there will always be one extra coaster to play with, except in an 8 player game).
He mixes them up, and distributes them face down to each player. The extra coaster is placed face down in the center of the table. The coasters not at play are put aside and will not be used for the rest of the game.
- 3 player game, play with Princess Tofu, Queen Tofu, and Tofu Maid.
- 4 player game, play with Princess Tofu, Queen Tofu, Tofu Maid, and Tofu Guard.
- 5 player game, play with Princess Tofu, Queen Tofu, Tofu Maid, Tofu Guard, and Tofu Chef.
- 6 player game, play with Princess Tofu, Queen Tofu, Tofu Maid, Tofu Guard, Tofu Chef, and Tofu Minister.
- 7 or 8 player game, play with all of the Character Coasters. For 8 player games, there will be no extra coaster.
The Soybean Tokens are placed in the center of the table and will be used to count points.
The search for Princess Tofu now starts.
Prince Mochi closes his eyes while all players turn over their coasters, plus the coaster in the center of the table, and silently reveal their characters to each other.
Players must memorize who is who, and then all the coasters are flipped back over. Then, the prince may open his eyes.
To find the princess, Prince Mochi is allowed to ask every player one question (see Asking Questions); he may ask the players in any order. Players must answer according to the symbol in the top right corner of their Character Coaster (see Answering Questions).
Once the prince has asked every player one question he may ask one player of his choice an additional question, and then he must decide who he thinks is the princess.
Once he has decided, the prince then turns over the coaster he suspects belongs to the princess. If he believes that none of the other players are his beloved, he flips over the center coaster.
The symbol in that coaster's upper left corner becomes the winning symbol for the round, and players are awarded points accordingly (see Awarding Soybeans).
The player to the left of the current Prince Mochi takes the prince coaster and becomes the new Prince Mochi. He collects the Character Coasters and sets up a new round.
Prince Mochi may only ask players one of these three questions:
- Where is Princess Tofu?
- Who are you?
- Who is he/she? (referring to any player or the coaster in the center of the table)
Players must answer Prince Mochi's questions according to the symbol in the top right corner of their Character Coaster.
- Princess Tofu and Tofu Chef must always tell the truth.
- Queen Tofu, Tofu Minister, and Tofu Guard must always lie.
- Pudding Spy and Tofu Maid can choose to either lie or tell the truth.
Soybeans are awarded based on the winning symbol in the top left corner of the coaster that Prince Mochi turned over (thinking it was the Princess).
There are 3 possible symbols:
Players look at the symbol that is found in the bottom right corner of their coaster. If it matches the winning symbol, they are awarded one soybean.
If Prince Mochi guessed correctly and found the princess, revealing the Heart as the winning symbol, he, Princess Tofu, and Tofu Chef are all awarded one soybean.
If Prince Mochi guessed wrong and turned over a coaster revealing:
The Mask as the winning symbol, Tofu Maid and Pudding Spy are awarded one soybean.
The Crown as the winning symbol, Queen Tofu, Tofu Minister, and Tofu Guard are awarded one soybean.
Depending on the number of Character Coasters at play, one, several, or none of the players may be awarded a soybean at the end ofa round. All players keep their soybeans as points from round to round.
End of the Game
The number of rounds in a game depends on the number of players.
- +3 to 4 players play until each player has been Prince Mochi 3 times (9 or 12 rounds).
- +5 to 6 players play until each player has been Prince Mochi 2 times (10 or 12 rounds).
- +7 to 8 players play until each player has been Prince Mochi once (7 or 8 rounds).
Once all the rounds have been played, the player with the most points wins the game.
If there is a tie, the players share the victory.